The Medford Historical Commission had a request to discuss the possible demolition to two buildings on South Street, numbers 23 and 31, to accommodate a new apartment building. The Commission discussed the process with the potential purchaser and provided the inventory forms prepared for the properties as part of the Medford Square South Neighborhood Survey project. These inventory forms provide an architectural description and historic narrative on which the Commission bases its review during the demolition delay review. The proposed building plans are included for the public to become familiar with the potential project.
The Medford Historical Commission has received an application for the total demolition of the building located at 75 South Street in the southern half of Medford Square (Medford Square South). The applicant plans to build a new three-family residence on the site. The building, which dates to the nineteenth century, is a contributing resource to the South Street streetscape. Entirely residential, the historic road was once the way to the ford on the Mystic from which Medford derives its name. The houses were once home to the shipyard owners, many of whom moved here after living near the Riverside Avenue yards. They were later home to some Medford notables. Several forms can be found on the Commonwealth’s MACRIS database. The Commission will determine significance at its December meeting.
Click here for the neighborhood overview for Medford Square South from the Survey Plan.
At our November Meeting, the Historical Commission found the house at 116 Dover Street to be not historically significant.
The building is a good example of an early 20th century residence whose style has been in use in New England for over 200 years. However, the building was unfortunately struck by lightning and was a total loss.
The Medford Historical Commission received the application for the demolition of the Cape Cod building located at 116 Dover Street in West Medford in October. Because the building is not a danger to the general public, the building required review by the Commission and followed normal procedure. A single family residence will replace the existing building.
This month, the Commission voted to find the house at 120 Jerome Street historically significant.
The building is an early 20th century bungalow that maintains a fair amount of its original character. This particular neighborhood is part of the larger Smith Estate subdivision, which was developed in the late nineteenth century. Large houses on corner lots and main streets give way to smaller, modest, examples of residential architecture. This house is one of many middle class buildings erected on speculation and sold to first-time homeowners. The builder and occupant relate to the broader neighborhood, which you can read all about in the information below.
Click here for the neighborhood overview for West Medford from the Survey Plan.
Last month, the Medford Historical Commission received the application for partial demolition of 120 Jerome Street in West Medford. At our December public meeting we will determine whether or not this building is also preferably preserved.
At our November meeting, the Medford Historical Commission has received an application for the demolition of a large Queen Anne Victorian located at 15 Hadley Place.
Located just off Salem Street, the building was constructed in 1896 on a small lane which has since become a vital traffic link when Interstate 93 was constructed in 1956. The building was set back when the road was widened and survived largely unaltered since.
Click here for the neighborhood overview for East Medford from the Survey Plan.
At our October public meeting, we voted to find the Queen Anne home at 202 Middlesex Avenue “historically significant” based on the architectural descriptions and family research in the Form B, shared in our previous post.
For the full discussion of our decision, please see the recorded Zoom meeting, at Medford Community Media.
Due to some scheduling irregularities, we will not vote on whether the property is also “preferably preserved” until our December meeting, on December 14.