We’ll also be reviewing our ongoing neighborhood survey, and our CPC projects. If you haven’t given us your thoughts on improving the Thomas Brooks Park, please do! Our survey questions are here, too – Thomas Brooks Park Survey
We’ll be discussing the redevelopment plans for 421 High St (formerly the location of Cincotti Funeral Home, in West Medford) at our upcoming November meeting. Public input has been important to the process so far, and the current version of the developer’s plans are available here –
The rest of the meeting agenda isn’t finalized yet, but our November meeting will be held on Monday, Nov 18 at 7 PM in City Hall Room 201; it’s a week later than usual because of the Veterans’ Day holiday.
According to the report from our architectural historians, the building was a large single-family home until the 1950s, when it became the property of Concetta Cincotti, “daughter of Italian immigrant Ciro Cincotti (1883-1963), who operated a funeral home first in Boston’s North End, and later moved the business to Medford.” Historical Commission members walked through the building this fall, and although the interior has some interesting details, the building is, inside and out, “heavily altered,” as the Form B (below) puts it.
The Historical Commission was awarded a CPC grant for a design plan for the Thomas Brooks Park and its principal feature, The Old Slave Wall. With community input, we want the park to become a beautiful and meaningful addition to Medford’s historical landmarks.
Please, tell us what you think in this short survey!
At our October meeting, the buildings at 96-102 Winchester St, near Ball Square, were found to be NOT historically significant and a demo permit was granted.
But the garages at 100 Winchester St were once part of an extensive and long-running commercial dairy operation –
The Whiting Milk Company, active between 1857 and 1973, was one of New England’s first distributors of milk and dairy products door-to-door. It was established by David Whiting (born 1810) in 1857. Whiting’s father, Oliver, owned a large farm in Wilton, New Hampshire. “With the advent of the railroad to Wilton, Mr. Whiting [David] inaugurated operations in the milk contracting business for the Boston market…”
The firm was carried on by his son Harvey Augustus Whiting (1833-1903) and grandsons Isaac Spalding, George, John Kimball, David and Charles Frederick (1875-1972); Charles Frederick used his Harvard (1897) and MIT training to manage the dairy in a modern sanitary manner. Under the direction of David Whiting’s grandsons, the company merged with C. Brigham and Elm Farm Milk (both included in above map) to form a new corporation that, according to the Cambridge Chronicle of 1922, “employs more than 1000 persons and is one of the largest milk distributors in the country.”
In the 1950s, H.P. Hood and Sons and the Whiting Milk Company competed for the majority of the Boston milk market; the photo of the Whiting’s Milk truck at the top of the post is dated 1961. But the business of delivering milk and other dairy product suffered a national decline, due to increased consumer mobility because of automobiles. The company went into bankruptcy in 1973.
Still, most commissioners felt that the history of this company was not reflected in, or represented by the structures on the property at 100 Winchester St. Information above was adapted from the Form B for Winchester St_96-102.
Our October Agenda is now available! Join us to for discussions of High St and Winchester St, plus our usual business.
The Office of Community Development has also recently asked the Historical Commission for feedback on plans for a residential development at 4000 Mystic Valley Parkway, directly across from the MacDonald Park.
The developers have submitted their MassHousing application form for Site Approval for a “Chapter 40B” residential development, and a copy of this application goes to the City of Medford. Application, with plans, here.
Plans are available at City Hall Office of Community Development, where the public can review them and submit comments.
Medford’s Office of Community Development (OCD) regularly asks the Historical Commission for Site Review comments on redevelopment throughout the City of Medford. The OCD also asks for comments from the Fire Department, the Department of Public Works and the City Engineer, the Building Commissioner, the Conservation Commission, the Office of Energy and Environment, and the Superintendent of Public Schools.
Medford’s Office of Community Development (OCD) regularly asks the Historical Commission for Site Review comments on redevelopment plans throughout the City of Medford. The OCD has, recently, asked us for feedback on the plans (available here) for the Lawrence Memorial Hospital site, on Lawrence Road and Governor’s Ave.
The OCD also asks for comments from the Fire Department, the Department of Public Works and the City Engineer, the Building Commissioner, the Conservation Commission, the Office of Energy and Environment, and the Superintendent of Public Schools.
Plans are available at City Hall Office of Community Development, where the public can review them and submit comments as well.
At our September public meeting, the Medford Historical Commission received an application to demolish the buildings at 96-102 Winchester St, in South Medford near Ball Square.
The Commission will post additional information to this page as review of this demolition proceeds.
The owner has already applied to demolish 104 Winchester (pictured above) and a demolition delay of 18 months has been imposed on that property, to give the applicant time to consider renovation, reuse, relocation and other alternatives to demolition.
The Agenda for our next meeting, Mon Sept 9 at 7 PM is now available here. We have been asked to comment on plans for the Lawrence Memorial Hospital site. Although we have not seen full plans yet, discussion is on the September agenda, and the plans should be available to share with the public at our September meeting.
And you can always find past meetings’ agendas and minutes on our website.
As it happens, Medford’s Historic District Commission is currently operating two members short. If you’re interested in working to preserve Medford’s historic neighborhoods – including the recently discussed Forest St – please be in touch and we can answer any questions about their role, and ours. To apply send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.