Historically Significant: 23 Bower St

At the Historical Commission’s April public meeting, the carriage house at 23 Bower St was found to be historically significant. At our May public meeting we will determine whether or not this building is also preferably preserved.

If a building is found preferably preserved, an 18 month delay of demolition will take place, to give the owner time to consider renovation, reuse, relocation and other alternatives to demolition. Meeting will be Monday, May 13 at 7 PM in Room 201 of City Hall.

At the April meeting, the application for demolition of the house and garage at 45-47 Mystic Ave was approved, as these were NOT found to be historically significant.

April Agenda

It’s a big meeting – with Cincotti Funeral Home in West Medford, a shipbuilding family’s early Cape Cod in East Medford, a 19th century gold leaf workshop, and a Ball Square beauty all on the agenda. Each of these buildings was deemed “historically significant” at the March public meeting. At this month’s public meeting the Historical Commission will decide whether or not each of these properties is also “preferably preserved.”

April 2019 Agenda

If a building is found preferably preserved, an 18 month delay of demolition will take place, to give the owner time to consider renovation, reuse, relocation and other alternatives to demolition. Meeting will be Monday, April 8 at 7 PM in Room 201 of City Hall.

Demo Application: 23 Bower St

The Medford Historical Commission has received an application to demolish the carriage house at 23 Bower St, built c. 1880, next door to the Shiloh Baptist Church. A recent Massachusetts Historical Commission Form B was prepared to detail the history of the property, including the carriage house building.

The Commission will post additional information to this page as review of this demolition proceeds.

23 Bower St MassHC Form B
West Medford Commercial District Area Form
Click here  for the community overview for West Medford from the Survey Plan

Demo Application: 45-47 Mystic Ave

[At the April 2019 meeting of the Medford HC, this property was found to be NOT historically significant, and the demo permit was granted.]

The Medford Historical Commission has received an application to demolish the *house and* carriage house at 45-47 Mystic Ave. A Massachusetts Historical Commission Form B was recently prepared to detail the history of the property, including the carriage house building.

For a peek at the life of “Honest” James Golden, a famous horse trainer at the Mystic Trotting Park and beyond, check out the Form B.

Trotting

Image of the 1872 race of Lucy and Goldsmith Maid,  from the Library of Congress

The Commission will post additional information to this page as review of this demolition proceeds.

MysticAve_45-47 MassHC Form B

[Updated April 11 – At our April meeting, the application for demolition of the house and garage at 45-47 Mystic Ave was approved, as these were NOT found to be historically significant.]

March Applications

In addition to the determinations discussed in the post below, the Medford Historical Commission also received applications for demolition permits from two properties. Both are older than 75 years old –  the house and carriage house at 45-47 Mystic Ave and the carriage house at 23 Bowers St  – and we have ordered research on both of them.

We will determine whether or not they are historically significant at the April 8 meeting.

The March meeting was also the first meeting for our newest commissioner, Peter Miller.

Agenda for February

Our next meeting will be Monday, 2/11at 7 PM in City Hall. Here is the full agenda. Properties under discussion include:

  • 417 High Street & 421 High Street – Receive Application for Demolition, Cyril Hughes
  • 17 Florence Avenue – Receive Application for Demolition, Ergys Huta
  • 251 Main Street – update, Rick Welch
  • 109 Forest Street – update, Scot Kenworthy

All are welcome to attend, see you there!

Demo Application: 67 Magoun

IMG_1412.JPG

The Medford Historical Commission accepted the application for the demolition of the carriage house and barn at 67 Magoun Avenue. The building, and its associated dwelling house, were once “the Medford Hospital,” a private institution that began in the early twentieth century. The c. 1895 Queen Anne buildings are located within the East Medford neighborhood. They were identified as part of a grant from the Massachusetts Historical Commission in 2014.

More info on the property in our Form B.

The building has been determined significant by the Commission. A letter to the clerk has been submitted and can be found here: Clerk’s Letter – 67 Magoun. The legal posting for the meeting can be found here: Legal Posting – 67 Magoun.

Dee Morris wrote an excellent article about Abby Rollins, the doctor who operated the Medford Hospital, for the Medford Transcript. The article can be found online or by viewing the PDF file here: Homeopathy and Medford by Dee Morris

[Updated January 2019 – the Commission unanimously voted the building preferably preserved and enacted an 18 month demolition delay, to consider renovation, reuse, relocation and other alternatives to demolition.]

August Determinations

The Medford Historical Commission has made the following determinations at their August meeting:

77 Cotting St – NOT preferably preserved.

137 Damon Rd – NOT preferably preserved.

368-374 Main St – Preferably preserved, with a demolition delay of up to 18 months.

Thanks to everyone who came out to voice their concerns about three very interesting properties in Medford. Each of these buildings vividly represents the history of its unique Medford neighborhood – be it the 19th C working-class residential boom of Hillside, the grand suburban plans of Lawrence Estates or the homey and bustling streetscape of South Medford’s Little Italy. When these buildings are gone, their loss will be felt. For those who couldn’t make it, here are some details, via the Transcript.